African American Male Advisory Committee
Who We Are
The Superintendent's African American Male Advisory Committee (AAMAC) is a group of appointed community leaders, professionals and District employees, all dedicated to improving the quality of life and education for all African American males within Seattle Public Schools. Transitioning from the preceding African American Male Think Tank in early spring of 2016, the AAMAC rose out of the operationalized six Recommendations presented to the Superintendent for consideration. To date, Seattle Public Schools has operationalized five of the six Recommendations.
Click here to view the Six Recommendations of the African American Male Think Tank
AAMAC was formed to provide guidance on how to best transform our educational system so that we are ensuring educational excellence for all students, particularly our African American males. Our work will focus on advancing the “Four Ps”:
1. Positive Beliefs: Shift the beliefs, attitudes and behaviors of adults to recognize and cultivate the gifts and strengths of every student.
2. Positive Relationships: Nurture students’ sense of belonging and validate their identities.
3. Positive Learning: Provide responsive and culturally relevant instruction that engages students in their learning.
4. Positive Partnerships: Support reciprocal partnerships that ensure students are known, challenged and supported.
The AAMAC is also charged with assisting Seattle Public Schools in fulfilling it's mission of Eliminating Opportunity Gaps for each and every student, ensuring that they reach their optimal potential and are Seattle Ready.
Click here to read more about Seattle Public Schools Eliminating Opportunity Gaps initiative
Click here to read more about the "Seattle Ready" mission
The African American Male Advisory Committee meets every other month to discuss the vision progress of their work, in addition to meeting in smaller subcommittees, each charged with a specific task to accomplish. The subcommittees include:
- SPS Policy & Practice Recommendation Committee
- College & Career Readiness Committee
- Partnerships Committee
- Family Engagement Committee
- Community Engagement Committee
- Attendance Campaign Committee
This page will serve as an informational cornerstone, where the public will have access to AAMAC meeting agendas
to be updated monthly.