School Board members and the Superintendent are committed to being good stewards of financial resources, and the district is on a continuous improvement path to strengthen its governance and business systems.
On an annual basis, the State Auditors Office (SAO) performs financial and accountability audits of the District. SAO also audits federal funds received by the District under the Federal Single Audit. The results of these audits are issued each summer in two separate reports: the Financial Statements and Federal single Audit Report; and, Accountability Audit Report. In addition, the State Auditor may conduct Performance Audits under Initiative 900 and on occasion, Special Investigations. These reports are available to the public on this page and at the Washington State Auditors Office website.
In 2011, the District created the Office of Internal Audit. Internal audits are performed based on an annual risk assessment. These audit reports are also available to the public on this page and at the Office of Internal Audit page.
Key elements of the audit response
- Board policy and procedure 6550 and the Audit Response Process provide guidance and facilitate the adequate and timely resolution of audit issues.
- The Audit & Finance Committee provides governance and oversight; the tone from the top is one of compliance.
- The Office of Internal Audit performs internal audits and follow up audits.
- An Ethics Program run by the City of Seattle's Ethics panel and district hotline provide employees and the community ways to report potential issues.
- The Assistant Superintendent of Business & Finance is the Executive Sponsor to ensure audit issues are resolved timely.
- Each audit issue is assigned to a responsible person or project team to resolve.
- Training plans for staff are adjusted to focus on high risk areas.
- Staffs' progress for each individual audit issue is tracked, reported and made available to the public.
External Audit Results
2014 - 2015
Audit Reports: Financial and Single Audit (5/25/16), Accountability Audit (6/27/16)
2013 - 2014
Audit Reports: Financial and Single Audit (5/27/15), Accountability Audit (5/27/15)
2012 - 2013
Audit Reports: Financial and Single Audit (5/22/14), Accountability Audit (6/30/14)
2011 - 2012
Audit Reports: Financial and Single Audit (5/28/13), Accountability Audit (6/24/13)
Audit Response: High level action plan (6/13/13)
2005 - 2009
Audit Reports: Special Investigation: Small Works Roster(9/17/2012)
Audit Response: N/A - no additional recommendations
Other Information: News Release (9/17/12)
2010 - 2011
Audit Reports: Financial & Single Audit (5/21/12), Accountability Audit (7/2/12)
Audit Response: High level action plan (6/13/13), Audit Log (6/13/13)
2005 - 2008
Audit Reports: Construction Management Performance Audit Report (2/1/11)
Audit Response: Audit Log
Other Information: News Release (1/31/11), Table of Findings, Recommendations and Responses (1/31/11)
Links to previous audits
How to keep up-to-date with the district’s progress on responding to audit findings
Links to additional information
* links to a non Seattle Public Schools website