The purpose and role of the elementary school counselor
is to plan, organize, and deliver a comprehensive school guidance and
counseling program that personalizes education and supports, promotes,
and enhances the academic, personal, social and career development of
all students, based on the national standards for school counseling
programs of the American School Counselor Association.
School counselors are instrumental in supporting the
development of the whole child (academic, career,
social/emotional). Following are some of the key duties offered in a
comprehensive counseling program for students in grades K-5, with the
vision of 250:1 student to counselor ratio:
- Support students, staff and families to meet the needs of
students through the development of academic, personal, social, and
career awareness activities.
- Collaborate with classroom and support staff to implement the elementary guidance and counseling plan.
- Coordinate and/or facilitate group activities.
- Counsel students individually.
- Consult with teachers, staff, families regarding social/emotional needs of students.
- Refer students with critical needs, in consultation with their families, to appropriate resources.
- Support accessibility of all programs for all students.