Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Seattle Public Schools Enrollment

    Welcome to Seattle Public Schools! Seattle Public Schools has award-winning neighborhood and option schools where families find great educators, strong academic programs, and engaged community.

    Un-Enroll My Student From SPS For Next School Year (2021-22)

    Current resident students who will not be returning full time to Seattle Public Schools in September 2021 will need to inform the district by completing the Not Attending Next Year Form. Parent/guardian are to complete the form for their student; we will not accept forms otherwise. Upon submission, the admissions office will verify student information and authorization then cancel the student’s next year assignment with a notification to the students school and family.

    Enrollment Announcements

    Admissions Center at the John Stanford Center Now Open

    Starting Monday, August 2, 2021, the John Stanford Building will be open four days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday) for enrollment services from 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

    We will be closed Wednesdays for administrative purposes, however, admissions will still be available by phone and at our Contact Us webpage.

    Help is Available

    Help is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Amharic, Somali or Vietnamese. Call us 206-252-0760, all other languages please contact a bilingual specialist directly:

    • Amharic/Oromo: 206-445-3848
    • Chinese: 206-475-1860
    • Somali: 206-430-2494
    • Spanish: 206-471-2414
    • Vietnamese: 206-471-9386

    Welcome to Seattle Public Schools 2021 from Seattle Public Schools (SPSTV) Vimeo.


    Enrollment Information

    Where will my student go to school? Students are initially assigned to an attendance area school based on where the student lives. Use our address lookup tool and find attendance area maps on our About Our Schools webpage.

    Can we choose a different school? Students may apply for assignment to a different school (or program) through School Choice. Read more about Open Enrollment and School Choice.

    How do I enroll my student? Parents and guardians can enroll their students for the current school year online with the links below or in person (from Sept. 8th-11th) with the computers designated in our lobby at the John Stanford Center. For directions to the John Stanford Center, visit our map and directions page.

    Preschool: Visit our Early Learning Department Preschool webpage to learn about enrolling your child in preschool. Read about the EEU enrollment change.

    Kindergarten: Children will need to be five by Aug. 31 to enroll in kindergarten for that year. If you would like your child to be evaluated to enroll early, please read about Early Entrance to Kindergarten.


    Enrollment Timeline

    • 2021-22 Transfer Appeals: June 1, 2021 (Appeals will not be accepted during the summer closure)
    • 2021-22 Non-Resident Enrollment: June 1, 2021 – August 31, 2021
    • System Maintenance (Admissions last day for data entry is July 8 at 4:00 pm): July 8-23, 2021
    • Enrollment Planning Post Maintenance Cleanup: July 26-30, 2021
    • Admissions Summer Closure Period: July 9, 2021 - August 1, 2021
    • Admissions Center Reopens: August 2, 2021


    What do I need to register?

    Parents/ guardians will need to complete the online registration for each student and submit the following documentation:

    1. Parent/guardian's Photo ID or Passport
    2. Two pieces of address verification (dated within the past eight weeks)
      • Acceptable verification: current telephone, utility or cable bills; mortgage information; insurance documents; or documents from public agencies such as courts or the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS). Lease or rental agreements can be used if you include the first page and the signature page
      • Not acceptable: Copies of envelopes are not acceptable for address verification.
    3. Student's Certificate of Immunization Status or Certificate of Immunization Exemption. Visit our Immunizations webpage for more details.
    4. Student's Birth Certificate or Passport: This only applies to students who are entering kindergarten or 1st grade, or are applying to our Special Education Preschool program. 

    Families Experiencing Homelessness: Students experiencing homelessness are not subject to provide address verification or required documents. Visit our McKinney-Vento Program webpage for more information.

    Online Enrollment

    2021-22 School Year Enrollment



    Have you moved?

    If you still live in Seattle and have recently moved it is important to update your address with Seattle Public Schools. If you do not update your address with the Admissions department, it may result in your student(s) being dropped at the end of the school year. Please use this form to change your address with the district.

    How do I withdraw my student?

    If you are currently registered or have pre-registered for the next school year, you may use the Not Attending for 2021-2022 form to request a cancellation of your student's assignment. Use this link to withdraw your student for the 2021-22 school year.

    Will my student change schools?

    Your student may have to change school assignments based on when you move and where your new home is located. In general, students must change to their new attendance area schools if they are assigned to their attendance area school, are not grandfathered, and they move to a new attendance area.

    • If they move before the school year starts, they must change schools for the new school year.
    • If they move during the school year, they may finish the year at their current school, but they must change schools the next year.

    In all cases, reassignments are subject to any special education services a student may require. Detailed move rules are available in the Superintendent’s Procedures for Student Assignment 3130 SP. Visit the policy and procedure webpage to read the procedure.

    Charter schools in Seattle

    Seattle Public Schools recognizes currently operating commission-authorized charter schools including Green Dot, Rainier Prep, Summit Atlas, and Sierra. More information about these schools, their curriculum, and enrollment is available through the Washington State Charter School Commission.